Sunday 11 October 2015

Open Letter To Igbos: Forget Biafra, Focus On National Unity

 Image result for what is biafra called now
My dear brothers from the east! Let me greet you in a more familiar manner: “Kedu, how market?” In my last open letter to you, I tried to convince you of the need to unanimously push a leader to the center. But, surprisingly, instead of focusing on how we can strive for political relevance during the new administration, some of my fellow brothers clamoured for the Biafra movement renewal.


I asked myself: “Do the Igbo actually need Biafra now?” The answer my mind gave me with 100% certainty was: “No, we don’t.”
Umu nwannem, have we completely forgotten our history? The Biafra movement emerged as a result of serious urgency. It came up to save our people from the genocide developing in the North. That’s why when the late General Ojukwu moved the motion of Biafra to the Igbo elders, there was a unanimous approval.
But today, throw up the issue of Biafra to the Igbo elite, and you are sure to get a different response. It means the people are divided on the Biafra issue, and it will never enjoy such massive support as it did in 1967.
I don’t support the Biafra call, but that doesn’t make me “less Igbo”. More importantly, that does not mean we should forget the zeal of our fathers fighting in the Biafra war with self-made weapons against sophisticated automatic rifles of the Nigerian armed forces. The agitation Gen Gowon thought was going to end soon turned into a full-blown war that lasted for 3 years, and was fought by farmers and blacksmiths with no technical support. Nevertheless, our people showed resilience and held on for a unanimously shared belief.
It is that very Igbo persistent spirit I urge us to always remember. Whatever life endeavour we find ourselves in, be it in business, in academics or in spiritual life, the spirit of the Igbo nation will always see us through.
We the Igbo are conquerors; we never say “never”. Today, we are the first-class entrepreneurs in Nigeria.
Now imagine there is a country called Biafra. Where are we going to start from? How much will Biafra pound be to dollar? Do you think the southerners with their oil-rich land will follow us to Biafra where they will be seen as minority? Who will be the leader of Biafra? I know most of us don’t see Uwazurike as the leader. I wonder how he actually managed to emerge as a leader in the first place. So I am convinced it will be next to impossible for Biafra to become a developing nation. After 54 years of independence Nigeria is still struggling to stand on both feet.
I must admit that the issue of Biafra has always been difficult to the southeasterners. As for me, Biafra will always be dear to my heart for I grew up with the touching war stories.
Nevertheless, Biafra was a situational approach to a problem, and even its founding father, Gen Ojukwu, accepted that our beloved Biafra became memories. That’s why he ran for executive presidency in 2003.
Ojukwu’s wife Bianca after his death was made the Nigerian Ambassador to Spain. His son, Mr Emeka Ojukwu, contested in the 2015 Federal House of Representatives election in Nnewi North and South constituency. These actions by the supposed Biafra leaders mean they now believe in Nigeria and its unity.
Can anyone beat their chest and say Chief Uwazurike won’t accept a presidential ticket of the APC or the PDP if given? If no, then who is fooling who?
My dear brothers from the east! Let us start seeing Nigeria as an organic whole. After all, the first President of Nigeria, Ifeanyi Ubah, an Igbo man, grew rich in Nigeria. Prince Arthur Eze is also an Igbo that made his money here in Nigeria, not in Biafra. A lot of people got rich without clamouring for Biafra. And who said we can’t join them? Umu nwannem, I can assure you today that we can. Biafra does not guarantee you absolute success.
Umu nnem, I urge us to “stick with the devil we know rather than the angel we don’t.” Let us see ourselves, Yorubas, Hausas and other ethnic groups in this country as one indivisible Nigeria. Together we can fulfill our founding fathers’ dreams.
May God be with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment